2 September 2009

Alice através da Arte | Maravilhas

Wonderland game

It is a game of displacements and free associations. Help me and send your suggestions!

Chapter 1: Down the Rabbit Hole.


Lia Chaia, Amigos Animais, 2008.

“So she was considering, in her own mind (as well as she could, forthe hot day made her feel very sleepy and stupid), whether the pleasure of making a daisy-chain would be worth the trouble of getting up and picking the daisies, when suddenly a White Rabbit with pink eyes ran close by her.”


(…) but, when the Rabbit actually took a watch out of its waistcoat-pocket, and looked at it, and then hurried on, Alice started to her feet, for it flashed across her mind that she had never before seen a rabbit with either a waistcoat-pocket, or a watch to take out of it, and burning with curiosity, she ran across the field after it, (…)


Nelson Lerner, Você faz parte II, 1964.


Suddenly she came upon a little three-legged table, all made of solid glass: there was nothing on it but a tiny golden key, and Alice's first idea was that this might belong to one of the doors of the hall; but, alas! either the locks were too large, or the key was too small, but at any rate it would not open any of them. However, on the second time round, she came upon a low curtain she had not noticed before, and behind it was a little door about fifteen inches high: she tried the little golden key in the lock, and to her great delight it fitted!


Cildo Meireles, Projeto coca-cola, 1970.


(…) this time she found a little bottle on it, ("which certainly was nothere before," said Alice), and tied round the neck of the bottle was a paper label, with the words "DRINK ME" beautifully printed on it in large letters (…)

Ana Miguel, sentimento dos docinhos ante ao seu destino, 1990.


Ana Miguel, Os docinhos (em detalhe), 1990.


"Soon her eye fell on a little glass box that was lying under the table: she opened it, and found in it a very small cake, on which the words "EAT ME" were beautifully marked in currants. "Well, I'll eat it," said Alice, "and if it makes me grow larger, I can reach the key; and if it makes me grow smaller, I can creep under the door: so either way I'll get into the garden, and I don't care which happens!"

Chapter 2: The pool of tears.



Valeska Soares, Sem título, 1997.

"CURIOUSER and curiouser!" cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English), "Now I'm opening out like the largest telescope that ever was! Good-bye, feet!"


Lia Menna Barreto, Work in progress, 2009.

"I'm sure those are not the right words," said poor Alice, and her eyes filled with tears again as she went on, "I must be Mabel after all, and I shall have to go and live in that poky little house, and have next to no toys to play with and oh, ever so many lessons to learn! No, I've made up my mind about it: if I'm Mabel, I'll stay down here! It'll be no use their putting their heads down and saying 'Come up again, dear!' I shall only look up and say 'Who am I, then?
Tell me that first, and then, if I like being that person, I'll come up: if not, I'll stay down here till I'm somebody else'- but, oh dear!" cried Alice, with a sudden burst of tears, "I do wish they would put their heads down! I am so very tired of being all alone here!"



Janaína Tschape, He drowned in her eyes as she called him to follow, 1999.


Janaína Tschape, Água Viva, 2003.


Janaína Tschape, Água Viva, 2003.

"I wish I hadn't cried so much!" said Alice, as she swam about, trying to find her way out. "I shall be punished for it now, I suppose, by being drowned in my own tears! That will be a queer thing, to be sure! However, everything is queer today."

Chapter 4: The rabbit sends in a little bill.



RochelleCosti, Série desmedida, Cabeça, 2009.

"Luckily for Alice, the little magic bottle had now had its full effect, and she grew no larger: still it was very uncomfortable, and, as there seemed to be no sort of chance of her ever getting out of the room again, no wonder she felt unhappy."


Lia Menna Barreto, estrelas de lagartixas, 2004.

"She drew her foot as far down the chimney as she could, and waited till she heard a little animal (she couldn't guess of what sort it was) scratching and scrambling about in the chimney close above her: then, saying to herself "This is Bill," she gave one sharp kick, and waited to see what would happen next."

Chapter 5: Advice from a Caterpillar.


Lia Menna Barreto, Nadas, 1983.

Lia Menna Barreto, Bonecas, 1993.

Lia Menna Barreto, Netsuke, 2007.


"The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice: "Who are you?" said the Caterpillar.
This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, "I- I hardly know, Sir, just at present- at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."
"What do you mean by that?" said the Caterpillar, sternly. "Explain yourself!"
"I ca'n't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir," said Alice, "because I'm not myself, you see."
"I don't see," said the Caterpillar."



Lia Menna Barreto, Casca de Boneca, 2006.

Lia Menna Barreto, Pele de Boneca, 2009.

"And now which is which?" she said to herself, and nibbled a little of the right-hand bit to try the effect. The next moment she felt a violent blow underneath her chin: it had struck her foot!
She was a good deal frightened by this very sudden change, but she felt that there was no time to be lost, as she was shrinking rapidly: so she set to work at once to eat some of the other bit.
(…) “Come, my head's free at last!" said Alice in a tone of delight, which changed into alarm in another moment, when she found that her shoulders were nowhere to be found: all she could see, when she looked down, was an immense length of neck, which seemed to rise like a stalk out of a sea of green leaves that lay far below her.”


Chapter 6: Pig and pepper.


Luciana Schiller, O Gato de Botas, 2009.



Menna Barreto, Wá Wá, 2008.


"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where-" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"-so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."


Chapter 7: A Mad Tea Party.



Regina Silveira.

"The table was a large one, but the three were all crowded together at one corner of it. "No room! No room!" they cried out when they saw Alice coming. "There's plenty of room!" said Alice indignantly, and she sat down in a large arm-chair at one end of the table.
"Have some wine," the March Hare said in an encouraging tone. Alice looked all round the table, but there was nothing on it but tea.
"I don't see any wine," she, remarked.
"There isn't any," said the March Hare."


Chapter 8: The Queen’s Croquet Ground.


Farnese de Andrade, Ofélia apontada, 1985.

"My name is Alice, so please your Majesty," said Alice very politely; but she added, to herself, "Why, they're only a pack of cards, after all. I needn't be afraid of them!"
"And who are these!" said the Queen, pointing to the three gardeners who were lying round the rose-tree; for, you see, as they were lying on their faces, and the pattern on their backs was the same as the rest of the pack, she could not tell whether they were gardeners, or soldiers, or courtiers, or three of her own children. "How should I know?" said Alice, surprised at her own courage. "It's no business of mine."



Tunga, True rouge, 1997.

"Leave off that!" screamed the Queen. "You make me giddy." And then, turning to the rose-tree, she went on "What have you been doing here?"
"May it please your Majesty," said Two, in a very humble tone, going down on one knee as he spoke, "we were trying-"
"I see!" said the Queen, who had meanwhile been examining the roses. "Off with their heads!"


Chapter 9: The Mock Turtle’s Story.


Lia Menna Barreto.

"They had not gone far before they saw the Mock Turtle in the distance, sitting sad and lonely on a little ledge of rock, and, as they came nearer, Alice could hear him sighing as if his heart would break. She pitied him deeply. "What is his sorrow?" she asked the Gryphon. And the Gryphon answered, very nearly in the same words as before, "It's all his fancy, that: he hasn't got no sorrow, you know. Come on!"

Chapter 12: Alice's Evidence.



Márcia Clayton, A bela adormecida, 2005.

Lastly, she pictured to herself how this same little sister of hers would, in the after-time, be herself a grown woman; and how she would keep, through all her riper years, the simple and loving heart of her childhood; and how she would gather about her other little children, and make their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale, perhaps even with the dream of Wonderland of long ago; and how she would feel with all their simple sorrows, and find a pleasure in all their simple joys, remembering her own child-life, and the happy summer days.